15 June 2015

And I've finally read it... The Selection by Kiera Cass

After having this book sitting on my Kindle for a long time, I finally decided to give the popular YA novel: The Selection, by Kiera Cass a good read.

America (she's the main character, not the continent!)'s world is divided into 8 different castes. Eights are the lowest class, with no food, house, job or education; up to Ones, the wealthiest people in the country: the royal family. America is a Five, and considered very low. Although she may have a home, and a small education, she regularly goes hungry and is not treated how a human should be.

Meanwhile, Prince Maxon (One) needs a wife, and in his country the way they choose this is using a system, called The Selection. Every woman can apply to join the Selection, and become the future queen, whatever caste. For most young ladies, this is a dream come true. They get to become Ones, run the country, and be some of the most wealthiest people. But for not for America. To her the 'dream' is a nightmare. She already loves a boy (Aspen, Six) but after making a promise she signs up. After all, she has a chance of 1 in 1000s, of course she won't get picked. Then 35 girls are Selected to go and stay in the palace, where, after some one-to-one time, Prince Maxon will choose his wide. And, America Singer is one of the 35 Selected...



I immediatly got stuck into this book, and its tale. Dystopian tales are some of my favourite genres and this was certainly different to any previous book I've read. I thought that it wouldn't have much of a plot, much of a story, but it did. The writing became alive around me, and I watched relationships grow, and disappear. I was sitting behind my Kindle urging America to do particular things. Even though I haven't read either The Hunger Games or Divergent yet, fans of those stories are absolutely meant to LOVE The Selection! There's also another 2 books in the series: The Elite and The One, as The Selection doesn't finish up the book. In fact, I loved this book so much, I'm off to get the 2nd one now!

Overall, I would fully recommend this to all teens. I am 10 (11 in a few days) and I did manage it fine, but it's probably best for 11 or 12+, especially fans of dystopian tales, but without all the blood and guts!

*****

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely review! I did read the book and didn't like it, but it's nice to read another perspective ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!:)