27 July 2016

If I Was Your Girl | Book Review

Hola Lexicans! Today I am going to be doing a book review on If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo, a book that I read a few days ago.

If I Was Your Girl is all about Amanda Hardy, a typical new girl who's just joined a school in Tennessee for her senior year. Like most normal girls, she has a boyfriend who she loves, some really good friends who she trust... and a deep dark secret. You see, Amanda wasn't always Amanda. In fact, she used to be Andrew.

I had previously read The Art Of Being Normal (which I adored) which was very similar to If I Was Your Girl, right from the cover through to the plot. The Art Of Being Normal contains a transgender character and the last sentence of the blurb for that is 'Because at Eden Park School secrets have a funny habit of not staying secrets for long' and If I Was Your Girl also contains a trans character and the last sentence of that blurb is 'And secrets always have a way of getting out.'

credits

If I Was Your Girl is poignant and realistic. Because it's written by an author who is transgender herself, Meredith really puts us in the brain of Amanda and makes the reader imagine her as if she is real. I really liked the characters as well, and even though (as I ALWAYS say) romance isn't my favourite genre, I actually love the romance theme this book had. Meredith wrote this very well and I cannot wait to see what she writes in the future.

I would recommend If I Was Your Girl to readers aged about 12+, as it does contain mature themes and language, however nothing severe, particularly those who like romance and very thought-provoking books.

Have you read this book? Have you read The Art Of Being Normal? What did you think of them?

Xxx


3 comments:

  1. Oooh, interesting! I want to read this book, now. I know a couple of people in the LGBT community, but I don't think I've met anyone transgender (all the terms people have in the QUILTBAG community anyways confuses me so much)!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the art of being normal, which was great so I might pick up this book!

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!:)