27 August 2016

Beautiful Broken Things | book review

Hola Lexicans! Today I am doing a book review on the YA book Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard.

Wow. This book. I genuinely cannot put this book into words so review is going pretty hard.
i. can't. even. explain.


beautiful broken things
credits

Caddy and Rosie are inseparable and have been best friends since they were so young. Caddy has helped Rosie through the hard times, and Rosie has been there for Caddy to cry on. Despite going to different schools, these girls will be best friends forever. And then Suzanne comes along at Rosie's school, and unlike plain and boring Caddy she is fun, beautiful and mysterious. But there is more to Suzanne than meets the eye, causing an unlikely bond to form, a bond that could damage them each individually.

I was reading this on the plane back from Thailand which was 12 hours long so I wasn't at my best. ARH THIS BOOK. I don't know what made this book so amazing. Maybe it was the characters, although Suzanne did vex me at points, maybe it was the bond, maybe it is just that Sara Barnard is an amazing writer but something in that book made it my new favourite book ever. It is such a poignant and heart-wrenching book which made me cry (and as I mentioned in my last book review is very rare). The characters in the book are so well-developed, Suzanne in particular that I somewhat expect her to be a real person.

This book deals with mental illnesses, including self-harm and suicide, and domestic physical abuse and whilst I have very fortunately never encountered these topics, I have friends who sadly have dealt with some of these topics so I have seen first-hand what they are like, and correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like an accurate representation.

I would recommend this book to 12+ as it does contain mature themes, particularly fans of Everything, Everything and All The Bright Places.

read this book!

I have lots of book reviews coming up so watch out! Have you read this book? What did you think about it? Is this the kind of book you like the sound of?

Xxx

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds amazing, I'm definitely going to read it :) thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so love to read this book after reading this review. Thanks for the recommendation, Lexi.

    -T.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I loved both Everything, Everything as well as All the Bright Places. Thank you so much for the recommendation. I will most certainly check it out! Great blog. Am definitely following. Post more reviews and things about your writing process :D

    Skylar | Skywriting

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to have to read this book now ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! Like, amazing. I'm going to have to read this literally today.
    -Livy
    www.quilanink.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!:)