17 February 2018

Turtles All The Way Down - Is It Worth The Hype?

Hola Lexicans! So today I'm going to be doing a review on the much-hyped, popular book - Turtles All The Way Down by John Green. And yES I know what you're thinking - I'm very much late on the bandwagon for this book, it's been around for months now and there have already been loads and loads of reviews and Worth The Hype? posts for this book. Buuuut I only read it recently so I thought I'd share my opinions too, in a Turtles All The Way Down review.

You've probably already heard the summary of TATWD millions of times, but because I'm a Basic Book Blogger™ ;);) and just in case some of you haven't already heard it/have the memory of the goldfish and if so, same lol and have forgotten, I will recap it anyway. Turtles All The Way Down follows Aza, a quiet, intelligent and quirky teenager with severe OCD, as her and her best friend Daisy begin to try and solve this mystery of where a fugitive billionaire has gone. However, it is not a mystery story - the focus at the beginning (plot-wise) is pretty much all on the missing billionaire and trying to solve the mystery, but pretty quickly it becomes apparent that TATWD is not actually a mystery at all, it just happens to include one.. do not be fooled aha!!

Related image
credits
 
I lavvv this book!! Most of the characters I really connected with and liked (my favourite three being Aza, Davis (the son of the runaway, and a potential love interest *wink wink* and Aza's mum). I love Aza because even though she doesn't talk that much, and is lost in her thoughts - she's not self-centered at all, and I found the way a lot of the things that go on with Aza being inside her head, really interesting, as well as raw and realistic - which, as brutal as it is, I think is *veeerrry* important nowadays, particularly in books focussing on mental health issues. Davis is so cutee and even though he doesn't fully understand Aza's mental health, he tries to understand and make an effort, which I loved. And also Aza's mum is just so sweet and caring. Daisy, Aza's best friend, was on the whole a good character but there was one certain bit near-ish the end of the book which made me SO ANGRY!! Aza forgives her, but I didn't ahahah #iholdgrudges

Also, whilst I haven't experienced any of these issues that are tackled with in the book first-hand (which I'm very grateful for), I have heard the opinions of those who have and they've all said the representation was accurate and on-point, which is always very important with books like this which will be read by a huge audience. And it's an #ownvoices book which I love, particularly in YA novels.

So.. Is It Worth The Hype? I'm going to be straight out with it.. I really loved this book! I've never read any of Green's work before (although really want to read The Fault In Our Stars now) so when TATWD released, and there was so many amazing reviews raving about it being published, I knew I just had to read it myself. And I'm glad I did! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone aged 13+!!

Have you read TATWD? What did you think? Did it live up to the hype for you? byeee xx


completely unrelated sidenote: I'm obsessed with Friends (the show lol) at the moment oh my life... It's the type of show most people have at least seen a few episodes of, but I never had until it came to Netflix UK.. I started it around 3 weeks ago, and I'm already on Season 8 I LOVE IT AND I HAVE A PROBLEM ahahah!! i'm literally so addicted ahh it's insane. I'll talk more about it in a different post probably but ahh it's amazing ahahahah

3 comments:

  1. Yesss I think Turtles was worth the hype too!! I actually think it didn't get enough attention in the blogosphere?! It was so brutally realistic for what anxiety (well, specifically OCD!) does to your brain and just afjdsald Aza was an amazing character. (Daisy made me super angry too and tbh I think she got forgiven too fast. I'm so unforgiving haha.) BUT THE ENDING MADE ME SO SAD. Typical John Green.😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to hear that Turtles All the Way Down was a good book! I read some of it during school, but I had to return it before finishing because my book competition started, yikes! I know some people despise John Green's books, but they tend to resonate with me.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I borrow your copy??? Have been meaning to read this for a while J.E. xx
    Also sorry I am commenting like ages after you posted this but I was just catching up on some of your posts, also I know this is on another post but I can't believe Phoebe and Ross are your two least favorites I mean come on you have to love Phoebe (smelly cat?!) xxx
    Also have you started reading ready player one yet, the movie is coming out soon and I want the book for a joint book and movie blog post. (yess I am starting blog!!)
    *bahhhahahahaha I am sorry but I am just in a rambly** mood
    ** Is rambly even a word?
    I will stop now. love you x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!:)